Friday, May 4, 2007

Time flies...

Time flies really quickly. It seems only yesterday when I took over the leadership of the Chess Club, and attended the annual CCA Leaders Camp in Bintan. Yet just today I passed over the beacon of leadership down to the J1 batch. Well, not officially yet, but it sure feels that way after the new Exco is announced. There's this weird feeling lingering around. Maybe nostalgia? Well, I sincerely wish all the best to the next Exco- Jeslin, Hanyu, Mark and Suz! Hope they'll be able to bring the club to greater heights! Remember, you can always approach me if you need any help! I'll be there!

Also really want to publicly thank some people who have helped me much in the year: Michelle my vice chair, Siau Rui my sect, and Shuyi and Wai Chuan. Regrettably there was not enough posts for them and after a close fight they were finally eliminated. Nevertheless, don't be too disappointed and strive on!

Anyway, before I get carried away with emo-ness, here are some funny quotes.

"Teacher, teacher, can we have a new tournament?"- Student A at Clementi Pri
"But its almost 6 already!" - Student B (training officially ends at 6pm)
"Nevermind la, end at 6.30 can right, teacher?" - Student A

Heart warming, eh? So enthusiastic..

"I won! Scholars Mate again!" - Cute Student at Clementi Pri (who has invariably used scholars mate to bring about his opponents' downfall despite me trying to educate the rest on how to counter it)
"Ok, thats good, why dont you record your score on the board?" - Me, still engrossed in a super interesting transfer game between Jeslin and was it Tim Chan?
"But I cant!"- Student
"Huh? Why cant you?" - Me, confused.
*He reaches and it becomes evident that he's too short!*

During Chess training today, I got a little bored and decided to practise some probability on the board.

"The mean number of students present for chess training each week is known to be 9. Find the probability that at least 8 students come for training today."

Then, "let x denote the random variable representing the number of students present for chess training today. X - Po(9)"

Therefore, "P(X >= 8) = 1- P(X <= 7) = 0.677"

Then Mr Low (our teacher in charge and also a maths teacher) came in and circled my x, commenting that it should be strictly X instead. So strict, ain't he!

No comments: